When talking about technology in the classroom, people often think no further than a student using their mobile phone in the middle of class. But technology has developed into something much more important for pedagogical resources and connecting with the younger generations. Here are some ways how technology is having a major impact on the future of education:
1. Learning material - A recent study shown that students learn best by doing, researching, and receiving feedback. With interactive technology in classrooms, students can do just that, meaning that they become more passionate about what they are learning. For example, students studying geography, can use an interactive software such as Google Earth, instead of looking at a picture of a map.
2. Real-world Issues - Allowing students to use the internet, will allow them to research real issues happening at that moment that are related to the classes curriculum. This develops the understanding of students that the things they are learning in their lessons, are relating to real situations with real people.
3. Simulation and Modeling - Simulation software brings real scenarios to life in the classroom, things that wouldn't be possible without technology. Students can see and learn things like, planetary movements, how tornado's develop and how dinosaurs lived.
4. Debates - Students using the internet, can create or join online groups, web pages and virtual communities that connect them in real time with other students and teachers anywhere around the world. This is also a good technique used by teachers to give their students' feedback, share questions and concerns about their lessons. Overall, this allows students to refine their thinking, reach higher levels of comprehension and gain a deeper understanding about what they are learning. Online communities and forums are great for students also. This is because they allow the opportunity for students to interact and ask questions to other students all over the world about topics which they may be struggling on. This is great for those students who are shy and are worried about asking their teachers or classmates for support.
5. Resources and exams - This is probably the most useful tool for students to use. The internet is full of useful resources for students to use at any time. For example, examination boards, release all of their past papers online, meaning that students can print them off and attempt them. Most PowerPoint presentations from students' lessons are stored on an online portal. This allows students to become more productive with their spare time both in school and at home.
For this technology to work in the classroom however, you must have excellent interactive touchscreens as well as a fast and reliable wireless network. Luckily, if you require either of these, Nortech are on hand. If you need more information, feel free to call us on 01604 259467 or email us by clicking here. Alternatively, check out our audio visual and wireless networking pages.